The ponderings of an 18 year old ponderer.
Thoughts, opinions and everything else that goes with life.
For similar content crammed into 140 characters, follow me on Twitter.

Thursday 2 May 2013

Me and You and Everyone We Know (2005)




So I thought I'd get things started with a little something on one of my favourite films.


Me and You and Everyone We Know is written and directed by Miranda July.

It's probably not a film that everyone will enjoy but I think it's a film that everyone should see.

There are so many levels at work that you're bound to pick up on something or connect to someone.

Here is the summary from IMDB.com


"A lonely shoe salesman and an eccentric performance artist struggle to connect in this unique take on contemporary life."

OK, Perhaps that doesn't sell it but I can promise you that the film has a lot more to it.

Take Robby Swersey for example - the younger son of the aforementioned "lonely shoe salesman" called Richard. He is the innocence we crave. He spends his time in online chatrooms and "talks dirty" in the most funny and moving way. When asked "are you touching yourself?", he looks down at his fingertips which are touching on the edge of the desk... so he replies "Yes." I challenge you not to fall in love with Robby Swersey. And the final conclusion of that story arch is beautiful, so I won't give anything away.
"Back and forth... forever."
Robby's dirty talk. You'll have to watch the film.

Then there's Robby's older brother, Peter. He resents his father like only a teenager can, so his father tries to capture his son's attention by setting his own hand alight. Peter strikes up a slightly bizarre and unlikely friendship with a younger girl called Sylvie, which also has a moving ending.

The love story between Richard and the performance artist called Christine (Miranda July) is incredible. This was the first film in A LONG TIME where I haven't cringed or closed my eyes through a relationship portrayed in a film. So little is said but it's so effortless.

And there are two teenage girls across the road who seem desperate to grow up but who are not yet ready to do so.

Keep an eye out for the scene where Richard and Christine walk down the street talking about stages in a relationship and how their unsaid conversation mirrors the dialogue. This probably doesn't make any sense but just go watch it.

For many people, I can imagine that this film will seem like a piece of indie crap. But if you accept that what you're watching is low-budget, quirky and has slightly dodgy music, I can promise you that whether or not you enjoy it, you'll come out at the end knowing you've watched something thought-provoking.. even if you don't have a clue what thoughts have been provoked.

This has been my first ever film review thingy, so bear with whilst I'm getting used to it all.

I hope I've inspired you or at least convinced you to give this film a go!

That's all for now, folks.


No comments:

Post a Comment